[mythtv-users] mythcommflag logo detection does not work

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 24 03:34:11 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 06:41 PM, Stefan Pappalardo wrote:
> Am 23.12.2013 14:57, schrieb Stefan Pappalardo:
>> I'm using mythcommflag version: fixes/0.26 [v0.26.1-28-g3beccab] on
>> mythbuntu 12.04. In german tv there is no logo in commercial breaks.
>> That's why logo detection should flag up to 99 % of the commercials.
>>
>> But it detects nothing, and no differenc turning on/off strict.
>>
>> Could there be something wrong with the used version of mythcommflag?
>>
>> Is there anyone with german DVB-S(2) with successful logo detection on
>> ProSieben or Sat.1?
> Does anyone find commercials with logo detect method?

The best I can tell you is that commercial detection worked extremely
well in the US when it was developed (back in the days of SDTV) because
it was developed by a developer from the US.  It has progressively
gotten less reliable in the US because of changes to how broadcasters
send out the video--with different broadcasters doing things differently
resulting in varied success across different channels.

Outside the US, no one has put in much effort (beyond a couple of
started, but not completed attempts) to improve results of commercial
flagging, and from what I understand, few non-US users have much success
with it.  However, for me, whether it works or not, I can generally skip
over any commercial break in just a few seconds with only a couple of
button presses.

Mike