[mythtv-users] blank screen after mythbuntu upgrade to 13.10 and myth upgrade to 27.0

John Reid johnbaronreid at netscape.net
Tue Dec 24 09:15:09 UTC 2013

On 24/12/13 03:48, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/23/2013 05:45 AM, John Reid wrote:
>> I upgraded my mythbuntu box from 12.04 to 13.10 and also moved from
>> myth 0.25 to 0.27. Unfortunately now when I boot I get a blank screen
>> instead of mythwelcome.
>> The mythwelcome, mythfrontend and mythbackend processes are all
>> running in the background, I just can't see them. When I boot in
>> recovery mode and then resume mythwelcome and mythfrontend do appear
>> so I'm guessing there's something wrong with the video drivers or X.
>> I can't find any significant problems in the system logs (dmesg,
>> kern.log, syslog, Xorg.0.log). mythwelcome.log has some errors in it
>> such as:
>>
>> CoreContext mythuiwebbrowser.cpp:962 (Init) MythUIWebBrowser: failed
>> to find our parent screen
>> MythSocketThread(-1) mythsocket.cpp:661 (ConnectToHostReal)
>> MythSocket(305eb30:-1): Failed to connect to (127.0.0.1:6543)
>> Connection refused
>> CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:488 (ConnectCommandSocket) Connection
>> to master server timed out.#012#011#011#011Either the server is down
>> or the master server settings#012#011#011#011in mythtv-settings does
>> not contain the proper IP address
>>

> Well, you need to start there.  If the frontend can't connect to the
> backend, it won't work.
>
> Check your "this server" and "master server" "IP address" settings in
> mythtv-setup.

I'm not sure I do need to start there. I think this is just a timing
issue where the frontend comes up before the backend is ready. The
frontend does connect, just not straight away. I think first I need to
get the display to work and I've just thought I never checked the
~/.xsession-errors log so I'm going to look there now.

John.