[mythtv-users] mythcommflag logo detection does not work

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Dec 24 15:44:27 UTC 2013

On 24/12/13 15:24, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Mike Perkins
>> On 24/12/13 13:53, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>>
>>> My experience puts the blame on the redistributers. I record from a
>>> STB and from an antenna (FTA), commflagging is near flawless from the
>>> latter and 40%ish from the former
>>>
>> When you say you record "from an STB" does that mean via an HD-PVR? In which
>> case it is you that are doing the encoding and the output will be of a
>> known, consistent quality, much like analog recording from a PVR-150 etc.
>>
>> If you are taking it straight from an mpeg2-TS stream then the format and
>> encoding can change almost from frame to frame. It's not surprising that
>> ffmpeg has problems.
>>

> The STB is a cable company supplied "motorola DCT700" into a PVR-150

...which is exactly what the old analog input method would do, and therefore why
it still works.

FTA will be digital and the data format will change all the time throughout the
transmission, at every break from program to trailer to advert to... and
sometimes inbetween, as well.

At least the broadcasters will likely be more consistent than a cable aggregator
will be, who just gathers streams from several independant sources and pokes
them down the line.

--

Mike Perkins