[mythtv-users] mythcommflag logo detection does not work

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 24 21:13:35 UTC 2013

On 12/24/2013 12:21 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> Sorry to bust your theory, Brian... ;-) Daryl actually said that the
> recordings from the PVR-150 were the ones that were ~40%ish.

Oops. I should have read your post before saying the same thing...

> Which matches with my experience--I've been using the PVR-500 as long
> as I've had myth and the thing which changed and broke commflagging
> for me (I'd guess I'm also at about the 40%ish mark) was the version
> change from 0.24 to 0.25. At one point, I'd guess around mythtv
> version 0.22, Comcast switched to all digital and I had to start using
> set top boxes, but commflagging still worked great for me after that
> transition. However, I'd agree that it's most likely due to changes in
> ffmpeg. Possibly the changes made to accommodate the new encodings
> from OTA, QAM and CableCard made things worse for the PVR-XXX encoding.

FWIW, I don't see how ffmpeg could be to blame since the commercial
detection basically just looks at a series of images.

I really think it's how the broadcaster and re-broadcasters are
"chopping things up".  For example, the show comes from the networks
with some pre-inserted national ads, and some spaces for adding in local
ads.  Many times, those ads have very-different-from-before gaps (much
smaller and/or missing) and transitions and such.  I think this tends to
have the biggest effect.  As I mentioned, I have varying results from
different channels on my OTA system, and to some extent, even, different
shows on a given channel.

Mike