[mythtv-users] now: mythfilldatabase - how to turn it off

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Tue Dec 24 21:08:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 07:38:12PM -0000, Roger Siddons wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 01:13:13 -0000, A. F. Cano
> <afc at shibaya.lonestar.org> wrote:
>
> >Also, please please please!  How do I disable mythfilldatabase? It keeps
> >trying to contact schedules direct and getting errors, of course.  I
> >have set "use EIT only" in the relevant config menu, but that is
> >obviously not sufficient.
> >

> mythfilldatabase configuration is in mythtv-setup/General/Program
> Schedule Downloading Options (11th page). Uncheck 'Automatically
> update program listings'  to prevent the backend from ever running
> it.

Thank you!  Mythtv has so many configurable options...  I'm learning.

Still, I have a policy question.  Since schedulesdirect needs a
subscription in order to work, should this option not come disabled
by default?  If a user wants to start a subscription to schedulesdirect
shouldn't this option be enabled at the time the user name/password is
entered? Or am I misunderstanding how schedulesdirect works?  All I
really know is that in my case I got access errors.

Maybe this is an issue for package maintenance (I'm using the deb
packages from deb-multimedia) and not mythtv proper.

Are there other (free) ways to get program data besides the EIT data
encoded in the HD signals?

A.