[mythtv-users] mythcommflag logo detection does not work

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 26 21:15:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 09:01:20 -0000, Stefan Pappalardo <sjuk at gmx.de> wrote:

> I've added my silence.preset file in the mythtv wiki. Perhaps you should
> consider to change the Heading for the article, to make it easier tofind
> for people from Australia and Germany (or the rest of the world).
>
> And I think it would be a good idea to merge the new method with
> mythcommflag to offer another method for commercial detection. Perhaps
> there is a developer who reads this, or should I link this post in the
> developer mailing list?

I'm glad (and surprised) at your success.

Thanks for contributing to the wiki. I have removed the 'UK' reference in
the title and added a 'Relevance' section, so hopefully we can establish
where this technique succeeds or fails.

I did start a patch for mythcommflag. However, it depends on other patches
in http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10793 and there was some discussion
(some time ago) that mythcommflag could do with some restructuring/tidy up
first. As others have said, it has all gone quiet....

The problem with commercial detection is that it is so
region/channel/provider-specific. Logo detection was designed for US TV
(where most Myth users/devs reside) where it appears to work to varying
degrees, and where silence detection is a non-starter. IMHO it's
difficult/impossible to design a method that works reliably worldwide.
FWIW I would like to see mythcommflag migrate to a plug-in architecture
whereby new detection methods can be added/maintained without the risk of
a detrimental impact to others used elsewhere in the world. This is the
flavour of the existing design but it's quite tightly integrated at the
moment.

However, plans may already be afoot. Recently Jean-Yves Avenard (an active
developer) declared an interest...

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/549056#549056