[mythtv-users] now: mythfilldatabase - how to turn it off

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 26 22:19:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 21:08:34 -0000, A. F. Cano <afc at shibaya.lonestar.org>
wrote:

> Still, I have a policy question.  Since schedulesdirect needs a
> subscription in order to work, should this option not come disabled
> by default?  If a user wants to start a subscription to schedulesdirect
> shouldn't this option be enabled at the time the user name/password is
> entered? Or am I misunderstanding how schedulesdirect works?  All I
> really know is that in my case I got access errors.

I believe it does default to disabled (although that page hasn't made it
into the user manual yet.)
It is easy to turn it on inadvertently though..

> Are there other (free) ways to get program data besides the EIT data
> encoded in the HD signals?

If you're in the US then I suspect the answer is no/not easily.
Many countries have freely available TV schedules that can be accessed by
mythfilldatabase when configured with an XML grabber, such as those
mentioned by Mark.
However AIUI the US is not one of them. Which is probably why
SchedulesDirect exists...