[mythtv-users] now: mythfilldatabase - how to turn it off

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Fri Dec 27 00:17:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 10:19:42PM -0000, Roger Siddons wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 21:08:34 -0000, A. F. Cano <afc at shibaya.lonestar.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Still, I have a policy question.  Since schedulesdirect needs a
> >subscription in order to work, should this option not come disabled
> >by default?  ...
>
> I believe it does default to disabled (although that page hasn't made it
> into the user manual yet.)
> It is easy to turn it on inadvertently though..

Then I must have turned it on by mistake.  But I don't remember dealing
with it until I noticed that there was network activity and I was
expecting "EIT only".  When I started up nethogs and wireshark I
discovered that it was mythfilldatabase contacting schedulesdirect.
Eventually, thanks to another response, I went to the right place and
managed to turn it off.

> >Are there other (free) ways to get program data besides the EIT data
> >encoded in the HD signals?
>
> If you're in the US then I suspect the answer is no/not easily.

Interestingly, I was just playing with this again.  Per a reply in
another thread I checked the wiki page and found that it essentially
said: In the US? schedulesdirect.  Then I went back to mythtv-setup
and realized that there are other options, one of them being
directv.com.  But that requires a lot of manual configuration:
first enter a zipcode, then select one of about 40 options, then you
go through a list of thousands of channels, presumably all that
directv carries.  Since I'm receiving over-the-air, I gave up, since
continuing would have involved not only going through all the channels,
but also cross-referencing the channel names to match the channel mapping
of directv.  We'll see if mythfilldatabase fills automatically only the
channels that I have configured in the channel scan.  Right now I have
more of them than in the last few days, but still only about 1/2.  This
might be because the EIT data is better right now than it has been.
We'll see.

> Many countries have freely available TV schedules that can be
> accessed by mythfilldatabase when configured with an XML grabber,
> such as those
> mentioned by Mark.
> However AIUI the US is not one of them. Which is probably why
> SchedulesDirect exists...

Thanks for replying.  I'll keep slowly learning.  The quality of most
OTA programming doesn't make it a hight priority, but it will be nice
to get to the few gems automatically.

A.