[mythtv-users] Mythweb - PHP Fatal Error

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Dec 27 14:37:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 03:48 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> > ... but for a home desktop behind a firewall, it's overkill,
>  The way most people use firewalls
> by inviting the "bad stuff" in via browsing and downloads,
> a firewall is not the magic solution some might want

That's a fair point. There is no such thing as a "magic solution" (and I
did not mean to imply that there was). Security is never
black-and-white, "it's secure or it's not"; it is always a matter of
risk management. An air gap desktop may be very secure (watch out for
portable media), but also of very limited usefulness (at least for me).

And I suppose some might still want the extra protection afforded by
selinux on a home desktop, esp. if one has untrainable users (e.g.
children and non-geek spouses :-)  Lest I be taken to task again, I am
not implying that the system is 100% safe if only geeks use it. Risk
management, not total risk elimination.

--Greg