[mythtv-users] Signal Issues and HDPVR

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 15:56:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Matthew Latini <matt.latini at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I've been running Mythtv for several years now and it's been very reliable
> overall. However, over the last couple of weeks I've noticed some glitches
> with my cable signal through Time Warner. When viewing a program through a
> STB plugged directly into the TV, this appears as a quick pixelation of the
> video which lasts less than a second and doesn't really effect the
> watch-ability of the program.
>
> The problem is that when this occurs with a signal running through my HDPVR
> and Mythtv the signal will drop for 1-2 seconds. The blue light on the top
> and the red light on the front of the HDPVR will turn off and the Mythtv
> backend logs report this as "HDPVR Device Error Detected". The recording
> will successfully complete and plays back fine, but I will lose this 1-2
> second portion of the recording, and there may be more than one location in
> a given recording where this occurs.
>
> So my thought is if there's a way to set a delay before the HDPVR gives up
> (similar to what would be found in a channel change script to allow the STB
> to tune and stabilize) I would at least have a workable solution while I
> troubleshoot the quality of the signal, etc. If this is hardwired into the
> device itself I figure I'm out of luck with that line of thinking.
>
> Since this is a new phenomenon, I'm thinking I may have to end up working
> with Time Warner tech support and that usually ends up being an exercise in
> frustration and something I don't look forward to.
>
> I would appreciate any help or suggestions that anyone can provide.
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 12.04.3 with Myth .27 fixes and I last updated on the
> 25 othf December.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matthew Latini

I don't know how Time Warner works, but when I had pixelation I called
Cogeco and they came out, checked the signal, and in my case replaced
a few coax connector ends and all was well again. When I pay for a
service I want 100% quality service. IMHO fixing Myth, when it is not
broken is not the best solution.