[mythtv-users] Best (and cheapest) IR receiver

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Dec 27 17:48:08 UTC 2013

On Dec 27, 2013, at 10:01 AM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:

> I need to add an IR receiver for another frontend.  I've been using IRTRANS devices which are fantastic, but expensive.

Not sure if you're tied to an IR device but the Sony PS3 remotes make really nice myth remotes. They're pretty cheap too, $10-20 plus ~ $15 for a bluetooth dongle if your mobo doesn't have bluetooth.

There are a few gotchas like you need a recent kernel & the setup is a little convoluted but they're super responsive and it's handy not to need a line of sight to the receiver.

On the iR side I would also recommend the iguanaworks device. I've had one as a receiver and transmitter on my system for several years.

- George