[mythtv-users] lirc 0.9.0: anyone had any luck recently

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 23:33:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

> Sometime over the last year I ran into problem installing
> a frontend because of the changes lirc, and reading instructions
> from the wiki sorted it out:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LIRC#Migrating_to_LIRC_0.9.0.2B
>
> But now, installing with the lastest opensuse (13.1), those
> same tricks aren't working, and I notice whoever kindly wrote
> those instructions reports unsolvable problems since Oct 2012
> on Gentoo. I'm wondering, has anyone found any way around this?
> Or are lirc and mythtv just incompatible now?
>
> Cheers,
>         Paul.

I had problems with the kernel stealing the ir data from lirc with newer
kernels.  I added the following to the bottom of my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
to get rid of that issue:

echo none +lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols 2> /dev/null || true

I didn't want to use the devinput trick because my remote is a JP1
programmable remote, with a code set that I customized for the device to
map every key to a different value.  I came up with the lirc mapping for it
years ago, and didn't want to try to tell the in kernel ir decoding how to
decode it.

Bill