[mythtv-users] No CableCards available, ebay an option?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 01:37:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My wife found a Motorola MediaCipher M type card on ebay cheap enough, but
> will they allow me to use it? Anyone have any experience with this?

Never say never, but AFAIK Comcast does not activate CableCards that are
not already in their system (they nominally have to be in their inventory
before they can be added to an account, and only cards that have come
into Comcast in the usual way get into their inventory system to be able
to be assigned).

I would ask one of the CSRs in your locality if they will add a non-Comcast
CableCard to the account.  My guess is not.

I am somewhat surprised that the local office does not have CableCards
in stock.  I guess the holiday season was good to TiVo and their new
Roamio devices.  Perhaps it is time to purchase stock....