[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Tue Dec 31 04:32:14 UTC 2013

On 30/12/13 11:26 PM, tortise wrote:
> On 31/12/2013 4:38 p.m., Jay Ashworth wrote:
>> Every night.
>>
>> My personal recommendation, to avoid WAF crashes like the on another
>> poster
>> is impaled on, is to run the mythconverg_backup.pl script from cron
>> every day
>> at 4am, and then *copy the created backup file to every spinning
>> drive you
>> have installed on your machine*.  That way, if you ever have to
>> restorr, you
>> have 3, 4, (5, 6, 7... :-) chances to have a good copy, and you don't
>> care
>> which drives might not be mounted at the time.
>>
>> Make it your New Year's Resolution.  Go check now: do you have a current
>> backup of your DB?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>
> Great idea.
> {Smugly thinks to self I don't need to....}
> Hmmm, mine hasn't run for a good three months now....!!!
> Anyone else?!
> In anticipation of the advice, and avoiding risks of impalation best I
> sort out why!
> Thanks indeed for the post jra

I do have to admit that at one point, mythconverg_backup stopped working
for me.  I had transitioned from packages to git, and somehow an
outdated backup script got left in my path.  Of course I figured this
out when I needed the backup.  Luckily the fs that hosted the database
had been backed up... but..