[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 31 04:54:58 UTC 2013

On 12/30/2013 11:32 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt wrote:
> I do have to admit that at one point, mythconverg_backup stopped
> working for me.  I had transitioned from packages to git, and somehow
> an outdated backup script got left in my path.  Of course I figured
> this out when I needed the backup.  Luckily the fs that hosted the
> database had been backed up... but..

Yes, an old mythconverg_backup.pl won't work with the new format of
config.xml (but a new mythconverg_backup.pl will work with either an old
or a new format config.xml).  Or, put another way, a current
mythconverg_backup.pl script will work with any version of MythTV ever
released.

So, as Andrew rightly indicates, anyone out there who's been using
MythTV for years (since before 0.25) should check to make sure their
backups are still working properly.

Note, too, that you can always explicitly specify all the database
connection details in ~/.mythtv/backuprc (as described in
mythconverg_backup.pl --help --help ).  The upside is that your backup
script will continue to work, regardless of changes to config.xml
(and/or our no longer using mysql.txt or whatever).  The downside is
that you have one more place to update when you change DB connection
information (i.e. changing the network configuration or whatever).

Mike