[mythtv-users] Non-IR Remote Recommendation

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Feb 5 14:08:56 UTC 2013

On 2/4/13 2:24 PM, Brent S. Elmer Ph.D. wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 12:56 -0500, Dan Wilga wrote:
>> On 2/4/13 11:26 AM, Brian Long wrote:
>>> I'm in the market for a non-IR remote for MythTV.  I've read reviews
>>> about the Motorola NYXboard (RF), PS3 Bluetooth, etc.  What do folks
>>> recommend for an inexpensive, no-hassle, non-IR setup?
>>>
>>> I've found one of my frontends is not getting much use because the TV
>>> (Samsung) interferes with my USB IR receiver.  I'd like an inexpensive
>>> (<$50) solution to get this frontend reliable again.  Right now, it
>>> takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes for the TV to stop interfering with
>>> the IR receiver.
>>>
>> Personally, I use a URC RFS200's:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FL9E6U
>>
>> along with a separate remote of the same type (available separately) for
>> each frontend in the house. These remotes communicate very quickly with
>> the base, which then blasts the IR signal to the receiver on my
>> HDHomeRun. LIRC is running on the MBE, which decodes the signal. Each FE
>> connects to LIRC on the MBE via Ethernet.
>>
>> This has several big advantages over using IR receivers on each FE:
>>
>> - It's much faster. I've had to add delays to keep my main FE from
>> repeating too quickly.
>>
>> - I don't have to point the remote directly at an IR receiver to control
>> Myth.
>>
>> - I'm using a single remote configuration which is cloned to all of the
>> others. This allows me to use any remote in any room, just by choosing a
>> different "device" on the remote.
>>
>> - I have the MBE power the appropriate FE on via wake-on-LAN when a TV
>> Power On signal is received from the remote.
>>
>> Granted, this doesn't meet your <$50 criterion, but you can probably
>> find the combo on eBay for that price.
>>
> This sounds interesting as I already have one of these remotes which is
> very nice.  Do you have a howto or anything on the setup?  If there are
> multiple frontends, is the backend able to distinguish which frontend to
> send the lirc signal to?
I haven't written up a HOWTO yet (though I've been meaning to for
years). I just need to find the time.

The backend really doesn't distinguish. I just use different remote
"device" code sets per frontend. Each frontend sees all keypresses, so
it's up to the ~/.mythtv/lircrc to define which keystrokes get mapped to
which functions in MFE.