[mythtv-users] Moving QAM channels

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Feb 8 17:41:53 UTC 2013

> Unfortunately, I have Time Warner as my cable provider.  They like to move
> the QAM channels around in an effort to pi** off their customers and to
> keep us from easily using the QAM channels for time-shift recording.  They
> would no doubt be happy to know that they succeed in both.
>
> I'm looking for a way to easily/automagically find the channel number for
> a given station (eg, 77-1 for WXYZ), load it into the channel table in
> MythTV's data base, pull in the XMLTVid from Schedules Direct, and update
> the Myth Listings.  And ideally it would schedule any "repeat/series"
> recordings.
>
> On the SiliconDust support page they have a service which  takes a ZIP
> code and gives you the  current QAM listings, which include channel number
> and station ID.  I'm guessing this is done with a readily available
> program.  That would be a good start on my immediate objective.
>
> Does anyone have any experience doing what I seek; or suggestions where to
> look for help?  Thanks!

I wrote a script a while back that will do this for you, assuming you are
using an HDHR to tune the QAM channels, and have a HDHR-Prime with a cable
card as well.

Essentially you scan all of your QAM channels with the HDHR then run the
script.  The script tunes every channel with the prime and compares the
frequency and multiplex with those of your QAM channels.  If it finds a
match, it updates the QAM channel to match the Prime's channel info.

But you don't mention what kind of tuners your using.