[mythtv-users] finding right alsa device for eeebox PC (ION2) and HDMI

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 22:05:02 UTC 2013

On 12 February 2013 07:24, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On 13-02-11 03:19 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>

>> But did you say that when connecting PC -> TV -> Receiver with another PC
>> (nvidia 210) it works?
>
> Indeed, I did, to head-off exactly this reasoning.  :-)  The problem is
> indeed, squarely with the EeeBox PC since substituting in the machine
> with the nvidia 210 works as expected with DD and DTS going to the receiver.

can you plug the eeepc directly to the receiver and test that DD/DTS work ?

If you are using a recent version of alsa (>= 1.0.25) and mythtv 0.26;
then the audio settings page will tell you which device to use. You
simply need to go through the list, and it will show you if it detects
a device and what it supports.

My guess is that you're running a more recent version of ALSA on that
eeePC, one that check the EDID sent by the TV. The TV is reporting as
not supporting DD/DTS and as such, myth doesn't attempt to send
DD/DTS.
Sometimes when that's the case, the order into which you start the
appliances is important: amp , followed by TV, then start the PC

Start mythfrontend with -v audio,playback
then go into the audio settings. exit (don't do anything, just enter / leave)

then go and play something.

Post the entire output of the log here.

JY