[mythtv-users] Frontend Appliance, Maybe

Ben Healy melben1001 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 12 01:39:22 UTC 2013

>In my brief attempt I installed Crystalbuntu 2 testing (http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=6075) and then installed mythtv-frontend on top. I only played briefly and managed to start the frontend via a script from within xbmc, but managed to break it a bit when playing with LIRC and re-installed and haven't tried again yet.

>One problem I had was that in the settings menus in mythfrontend I wasn't able to move the cursor about, so couldn't set it to use the Crystal HD card.
>
>I will try again at some stage and this time prevent xbmc from starting before trying to use mythfrontend.
>
>Ben

OK, I was able to stop xbmc from starting and then started the frontend with xinit. I was able to select CrystalHD in the playback settings, but when I tried to play back a recording I'm stuck on the "Please Wait" screen and the whole device appears to be locked up (can't ctrl-alt-F1/F2/F3 etc).

Nothing much in the mythfrontend.log apart from errors about the audio device not being valid.

I will try for a bit longer with this device (and wait for Crystalbuntu 2 to arrive) before I ebay it.

It's a shame as everything looks quite nice on the old crt this is attached to via component (much better than the raspberry pi via composite looks) and it runs xbmc quite smoothly. The only major issue I have found in xbmc (and I assume it's not confined to xbmc) is that it won't play vc-1 videos in mkv containers. (and I would love to be able to run a proper mythfrontend)

Ben