[mythtv-users] Hulu not working through MythNetVision

John S bogustrumper02 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 23:59:02 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm having a problem with the Hulu plugin for MythNetVision, running
MythTV 0.25. Searching Hulu gives no results whatsoever, and the tree
comes up empty when I try to browse.

Doing some debugging, I get the normal output for "hulu.py -v":

#:/usr/share/mythtv/internetcontent$ ./hulu.py -v
<grabber>
  <name>Hulu</name>
  <author>R.D. Vaughan</author>
  <thumbnail>hulu.png</thumbnail>
  <command>hulu.py</command>
  <type>video</type>
  <description>Hulu.com is a free online video service that offers hit
TV shows including Family Guy, 30 Rock, and the Daily Show with Jon
Stewart.</description>
  <version>0.13</version>
  <search>true</search>
  <tree>true</tree>
</grabber>

But if I try to run "hulu.py -T" to view the tree, I get an error. I
traced it to an index error in
/usr/share/mythtv/internetcontent/nv_python_libs/hulu/hulu_api.py,
near line 624:

for e in descFilter2(description)[1]:

I did a little python hacking to show the values of description and
descFilter2(description), and it seems like normally descFilter2
returns a list with exactly 2 items in it. Sometimes, though, it only
has one item, and then this crashes.

I was able to hack in a simple workaround by saving the output of
descFilter2(description) to a separate variable and padding it with an
empty list. That *kinda* works for the tree view, in that I can run
the update and get a tree. But search still gives me only empty
results, even when I search for things that I can find in the tree.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. I just
installed MythTV yesterday, so I'm up-to-date as far as what's in the
default repositories. I haven't enabled any additional PPAs, though;
if that'll fix it, I'd be happy to try! I didn't see any newer
versions of the Hulu plugin after an hour or so searching with Google,
though.