[mythtv-users] I'm slightly confused regarding how metadata is shown on frontends

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 17 06:35:39 UTC 2013

I've setup a system for a friend using 25 fixes from the Ubuntu repos.

The system has one backend that is both the TV feed and the video library.

It also has three other frontends and will have a couple of tablets as well.

On the backend there are three hard drives......

1 TB dedicated to TV Video Library
500GB dedicated to TV Video Library
500GB dedicated to Movie Video Library

The 500GB TV drive is actually a 2TB but is partitioned so that the
500GB partition is dedicated.

In mythtv-setup the Storage Directories are therefore configured.......

/mnt/sdb1/TV
/mnt/sdc1/TV2
/mnt/sdd1/Movies

I've populated the metadata (still need to sort out a few issues but 95% done)

On the backends frontend I can view the metadata properly and have it
configured so that I can see each directory...

Movies
TV
TV2

When I run the frontend -->  Media Library -->  Watch Videos I'm
presented with the above subdirectories, I can then get a list of
either Movies or TV shows and the metadata starts to appear (coverart,
fanart) as I scroll up and down the directory tree.....

Movies -->  A Knights Tale
           -->  Airplane

As the highlighted cursor moves across from 'Movies' to a 'A Knights
Tale' the whole screen background changes to (I assume) fanart for
that Movie and the coverart box gets filled in appropriately.

If I then move down to 'Airplane' the images get correctly updated.

If I move back to the Movies option and move down to TV the images
again update correctly picking up from whichever TV show subdirectory
I move across to.

However on the remote frontends I cannot get the metadata to show
unless I choose to NOT browse filesystem.

i.e.

If I have 'Browse Filesystem (slow)' in effect disabled on the system
I see metadata, however all three directory structures are now
presented as one merged long list rather then seperate Movies, TV and
TV2 structures.

If I have 'Browse Filesystem' enabled I get the directory tree
structure I want as per the above on the backends frontend, however I
now get no metadata showing on the remote frontend.

I'm using Blue Abstract theme on all system frontends to remain consistent.

I've tinkered around with this for a couple of hours now and either
I'm missing something obvious or having 'Browse Filesystem' enabled on
a remote frontend is stopping metadata being transferred.

I'd really rather not set him up with one huge long list of TV shows
and Movies to scroll through every time he wants to watch something,
but frankly the whole point of the system is the metadata makes it so
visually appealing.

Ideas?