[mythtv-users] Build question

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Feb 18 03:35:31 UTC 2013

On 2/17/2013 21:48, Jon Whitear wrote:

>>> Why would forcefully disabling DVB support be any different from
>>>  simply not using those bits in the code? What you're asking
>>> really makes no sense.
>>
>> I'm not forcefully disabling DVB. It's the way Gentoo is.
>> Obviously I do build the BE with USE="dvb" - because it has a DVB
>> card. You could say I'm forcefully enabling it. Thus the question
>> is: will a FE that is built without DVB support work fine with this
>> BE, watching live TV?
>
> It's a long time since I've used Gentoo on my Myth boxes, but as far
> as a remember, DVB support is a config option for the backend only -
> it's not applicable to the front end.

There are no frontend-only or backend-only options.  Nearly all that
code is built into the shared libraries that are linked against and
loaded by both binaries.  That said, all physical tuner access is
performed by the backend, so it will make no difference what tuners are
enabled during compilation of MythTV on a dedicated frontend.