[mythtv-users] Question regarding LIRC and SENDING Remote commands.

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Feb 20 00:03:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Lee Maisel <maisel at lobo.net> wrote:
> Thanks Ron!! Yes, my USB receiver has 2 ports and emitters, that's what I
> meant. not the remote itself, haha.

My MCE USB device also has 2 emitter ports. You will notice the first
irsend command in my script selects which port you are transmitting
on. Also, in case you want to control more than 2 devices, I'll also
note that you can actually control multiple devices from 1 port (you
can get ones that have 2 or 3 emitters on the same wire), as long as
the devices don't share any IR codes. As long as they are different
devices, this will most likely not be a problem (ex: controlling a
stereo and a TV from the same port would be fine, as they usually each
have unique codes for power, volume, etc). Having separate ports
mostly comes in handy when you want to control multiple devices with
the same IR codes (ex: controlling 2 identical cable boxes so you can
have 2 tuners).

> Now the other question is, since I am using the pre-made configuration, does
> it matter if I check the box under it for the relaying of commands? because
> they only include a very small basic number of devices.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are talking about with checking a
box. Might be something specific in your OS config I'm not familiar
with.

However, I do note you mention using pre-made configuration files. I
assume you mean for the remote definition that goes in lircd.conf.
It's worth pointing out that there are 2 ways lirc can handle devices:
raw codes, and mode2 codes. Many of the premade config files I've seen
general contain mode2 codes, which look like this:
        Power             0x00007bf3

raw codes look more like this:
          name ENTER
             8950    4450     600     500     600     500
              600     500     600     500     600     500
              650     450     650    1600     600     500
              650     450     650     450     650     500
              600     500     600     500     600     500
              600    1650     600     500     600    1650
              600     500     600    1600     650    1600
              600     500     600     500     650     450
              650     500     600     500     600    1650
              600     500     600     500     600    1600
              600    1650     600    1650     600    1600
              650

My particular MCE USB device can receive in both formats, but it can
only transmit in raw codes, which means you need to have a config file
defined with raw codes. If yours behaves the same way, then you may
need to record your own config file using irrecord with the -f flag

--
Ron Frazier