[mythtv-users] Very large logs seen in mythconverg database

Dan Bernard danber1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 00:04:40 UTC 2013

>>* $ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'logging'\G'*>>* Enter password:*>>* ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check*>>* the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right*>>* syntax to use near 'logging' at line 1*
>Oops, that should have been:

>mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE "logging"\G'

>(quote issues).  I was hoping to get this output because it would
>show--in addition to repeating the storage engine information--some size
>information...  Something to the effect of:

>$ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE "logging"\G'
>*************************** 1. row ***************************
>            Name: logging
>          Engine: MyISAM
>         Version: 10
>      Row_format: Fixed
>            Rows: 16952465
>  Avg_row_length: 25
>     Data_length: 423811625
>Max_data_length: 7036874417766399
>    Index_length: 387863552
>       Data_free: 0
>  Auto_increment: NULL
>     Create_time: 2012-03-29 18:42:37
>     Update_time: 2013-02-19 17:20:03
>      Check_time: 2013-02-19 04:39:12
>       Collation: utf8_general_ci
>        Checksum: NULL
>  Create_options:
>         Comment:
>1 row in set (0.00 sec)

>where the Data_length shows the size of the data file (the .MYD) on disk
>and the Index_length shows the size of the index file (the .MYI) on
>disk.  Obviously, yours would show different information.

>Note, also, that my output shows a Check_time of early this morning.
>That corresponds to the time when my system runs a daily
>optimize_mythdb.pl cron job--a time I chose because of the extreme
>unlikelihood of a recording occurring at that time.

Thanks for the very complete and informative response!

Here is the output of the command that had the syntax error:
$ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE "logging"\G'
Enter password:
           Name: logging
         Engine: MyISAM
        Version: 10
     Row_format: Dynamic
           Rows: 27087
 Avg_row_length: 174
    Data_length: 1730321488
Max_data_length: 281474976710655
   Index_length: 650248192
      Data_free: 1725601312
 Auto_increment: 20519185
    Create_time: 2012-11-19 09:05:36
    Update_time: 2013-02-19 17:41:52
     Check_time: 2013-02-18 08:02:34
      Collation: utf8_general_ci
       Checksum: NULL
 Create_options:
        Comment:

Let me know if that changes your recommendation, otherwise I'll plan
to setup a cron job as you suggested.

Thanks
Dan