[mythtv-users] can Nvidia 7800GS play HD?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 21 15:00:59 UTC 2013

On 02/21/2013 09:40 AM, Brent S. Elmer Ph.D. wrote:
> I have an old computer I am trying to make into a mythfrontend.  The
> video card is a BFG overclocked Nvidia 7800GS in a 4 X AGP slot.  I am
> running Debian testing/wheezy and have the latest nvidia proprietary drivers
> installed(304.64).  The card is doing direct rendering.
> The card is too old for vdpau.  Does anyone have this card set up to view HD?
> SD displays fine.  HD stutters a little.
> The card is fine for gnome-shell and everything else.  I was
> just wondering if there are some tweaks I can make in the xconfig or
> mythsetup to make it work a little better for HD.

Make sure you're using a proper Playback Profile--I recommend setting it
up to use the Slim Playback Profile group.  If you get that working, you
can create your own custom profile and play around with the
deinterlacers to see if you can do better deinterlacing.

Note that the card itself is irrelevant when using Slim (specifically,
when using Xv rendering)--it's the CPU and RAM that needs the resources.

If you get things working with Xv rendering, you can attempt to use
something like the OpenGL Slim profile to try to get better rendering
(especially of the OSD), but it may be too much for that card/AGP (I
never had much luck with OpenGL renderer on my 7800 GTX at > 1x, and I
refuse to live without timestretch).

Mike