[mythtv-users] Live TV always is few seconds behind

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:56:39 UTC 2013

On 22 February 2013 03:53, Andrew Stadt <acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:

> On 21/02/2013 9:08 PM, iyer1961-sulekha at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I am a new user of mythtv.  when I am watching live tv, when I hit the
>> info button, its says the position is a few seconds behind; and I haven't
>> paused or skipped back.  Trying to understand if this is normal or is my
>> system too slow.
>> Appreciate any assistance,
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Feng
>>

>>  When watching livetv, myth's backend is writing the video to a file, and
> the frontend is playing that file. With all the things that need to happen,
> its normal for livetv be at least 2 seconds behind real time... on some
> occasions I've seen it go as far as 4 seconds... behind, though that isn't
> usual.
>
> Cheers, and welcome to Myth.
>
> Andrew.

Yeah, those times are quite normal. i usually see 8-10secs delay. infact,
if i get too close to real time (keep pressing ffwd), then i experiencing
stuttering, so i tend to keep it around the 10s mark.
For completeness, this isn't something only mythtv does; just about all of
the systems out there do this; the Sky TV boxes in the UK do this, as does
7MC etc. it's a standard DVR (or is it PVR?) thing.