[mythtv-users] MythTV problems with 3.7.x and 3.8.x kernel

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:29:17 UTC 2013

Has anyone else noticed problems watching DVD's using a 3.7.x kernel
or a 3.8.x kernel?  I first noticed the problem a while back and
started this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=537334;list=mythtv

It seemed to be related to using the 3.7 series kernel at that time
but now with 3.8 out I get the same problem.  It only affects (as far
as I can tell) DVD's played from the physical disk or a full .iso of
the physical disk.  A .mkv from the main feature has no problems.

Switching back to a 3.6.x kernel or earlier fixes the problem.  Oddly,
I can only get the issue to happen in MythTV and not in any other
playback program.  It happens regardless of playback method as well
(VDPAU, OpenGL, etc).  This evening I tried a self compiled 3.8.0
kernel as well as a generic 3.8.0 .deb kernel from Ubuntu.

Looking at the 3.7 change log the only thing that sticks out is:

Filesystems:
UDF:

Add support for O_DIRECT
Add "writepages" support for UDF for improved write performance

Could either O_DIRECT or writepages cause this?  I know nothing about
this topic so I'm just stabbing in the dark here.  Anyone have any
ideas?  Any way to turn off these two items in 3.8.0 to test?

Thanks,

Neil