[mythtv-users] Have to start shows twice -- database problem???

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 06:45:54 UTC 2013

I remember having a similar issue a long time ago. Possibly with, 21 maybe
.22 not sure as that is many years ago now.

Unfortunately I don't recall what the solution was exactly and I have long
deleted the email. I think it was an issue which was related to setup,
number of recordings or something else with myth and fixed in a later
version...

I accept your don't fix if it ain't broke... But it is broke and it is such
an old version that anyone's memory is going to be hazy at best...

Good luck but I suggest you take this opportunity to reevaluate how your
system is configured and upgrade. Upgrading to a i3 processor alone would
probably be paid back in a couple of years (electricity cost) or less if
your system is on as much as mine.

But to keep costs down... Test with an old HDD in your existing system and
mythbuntu 1204 with a backup of your database and a clone of your other
derive in case you need any of your funky wizardry of yore.

Sorry I can't be more help.

please excuse brevity and pistakes as this email was composed on a mobile
phone.

regards,
Richard Morton

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Michael Watson <
michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> On 25/02/2013 8:36 PM, John Veness wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/2013 19:47, Allen Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> I am running 0.21 and following the advice of if it ain't broke, don't
>>> fix it.  But I have a very small "broke" I would like to fix. This
>>> problem started probably about a year ago.  I had many years with no
>>> issues at all.  Not always, but often when I start a program I get a
>>> long delay and then back to the menu and I have to start the show again,
>>> which then starts instantly.  Also, and more annoying, if I stop a show
>>> half way through and restart it, it often does the same thing and I lose
>>> my break point so have to manually skip to where I left off.
>>>

>> I had a similar problem to that a few years ago, and if I remember
>> correctly I found that degragmenting my drives helped. I'm not sure if it
>> was defragmenting the video storage drive or the database drive that
>> particularly helped.
>>
>>  I'm not sure even a severely fragmented drive would cause this sort of
> delay.
>
> How much memory does the system have?  How much swap space is the system
> using?
> What sort of load is the system under when you start to watch a program?
>
> I would start by opening a terminal window (or ssh into it from another
> machine), start 'top' and watch what happens to the system load (and what
> process's are creating that load) when you start a program.
>
> Is there anything getting logged by syslog that might shed any light.
>  "cat /var/log/messages | grep sda" might shed some light on the problem.
>  (If its a drive starting to turn up its toes)
>
> Have you looked if the myth logs show any hints?  (backend and frontend
> logs)
>
> Maybe your CPU fan is just clogged with dust, so CPU is not getting cooled
> properly, causing the system to run slow.
>
> Many things to look at before you upgrade, and find yourself with the same
> problem (or worse)
>

> Regards
> Michael
>
> CPU fan cleaned not long ago, and the system was shutting down before I
cleaned it so it really can be a problem.

But back to the problem, it isn't delay or slow speed, it is bad behavior.
 The time is clearly being used by myth doing something it should not be
doing.  To repeat.  I can restart a show where I have the option of "play"
or "play from" and hit "play from" and the thing goes and does whatever it
is doing and goes back to the menu by itself and "play from" is no longer
an option.  I then have to hit play and fast forward to where I had left
off.  Myth has done something it should not have done, it isn't that it is
slow.  It has gone and done a bunch of stuff and lost its placemark in the
process.

Allen