[mythtv-users] can Nvidia 7800GS play HD?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Feb 26 12:57:43 UTC 2013

On 02/23/2013 05:53 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Ben Healy <melben1001 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> Maybe you can't improve on AGP, but nvidia have made PCI (not PCIe) video cards that are vdpau capable. If you have a spare PCI slot it would be well worth it if not too expensive.
>
> According to the wiki article http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU the PCI
> version of the
> 8400 (one of the "most recent" GPUs that were built for PCI; actually
> it is a PCIe
> GPU, with a PCI to PCIe interposer) cannot (reliably) do any of the advanced
> de-interlacing filters at HD resolutions (it is not stated, but is it
> probable that the
> reports were from 60Hz countries; those countries that are 50Hz may encounter
> different results).  As always, your mileage will vary.

There were PCI versions of the 430 and 220 made that will do most or all
of the advanced de-interlacing.  While they are no longer availalble on
places like Newegg, you can find them on eBay or Amazon.

I believe there are GeForce 610 cards available currently brand new, in
PCI, that, if they can't do all of the most advanced de-interlacing,
will certainly do most of them.   However, I have no first-hand
experience with this - just my understanding.