[mythtv-users] ZoneMinder plug in incompatible with network triggers

David Smoot davidsmoot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 02:35:02 UTC 2013

On Feb 26, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Jon Heizer wrote:

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM, David Smoot <davidsmoot at gmail.com> wrote:
If you are bored, would you mind trying the zmtrigger.pl plugin?  You should be able to start it up and then trigger an alarm event with a telnet connection to port 6802.  Even if you don't trigger it, I'm just curious if the zmtrigger.pl process dies for you in 10 minutes or less like it does for me. The zmtrigger plug in works for its intended task, it just crashes a lot.  I have found others who faced the same symptoms and their cure was to switch to mapped memory.  My solution might be as simple as recompiling ZoneMinder for mapped rather than shared.

Note: Bottom post.

sudo zmtrigger.pl on the ZM box

telnet zmbox 6802

30 minutes later I have a list of events that fired while it was running. (snow coming down is driving the cameras crazy)

1.25 out of the box and .26-fixes

Jon

Sorry for the breach of bottom post etiquette, it has been a while since I participated in a mailing list.

Well it appears that this entire issue was operator error and caused by me.  If I had just used the default Ubuntu versions everything would have worked but I was trying to follow directions that I did not know were out of date.

I compiled zone minder from source with the shared memory flag enabled and installed and that apparently created the issue I was having with Zmtrigger.  When I did a "sudo make uninstall" from the zone minder source directory and removed some leftover files by hand, then the Ubuntu versions installed and worked fine.

Thanks for your help.  Now to learn a bit more about zone minder and integrate it with my Vera home automation system.

David

David Smoot
davidsmoot at gmail.com