[mythtv-users] Video is behind audio, dropping frames to catch up (VDPAU, HD content)

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Feb 28 17:59:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/**Product.aspx?Item=**N82E16813131663<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131663>
>>>
>>> That outputs via HDMI. A previous incarnation had a C7 VIA chip which
>>> output using VGA and 3.5 mm stereo into the TV. No problems either way.
>>>

>> Nice. Will that do HQ scaling and Advanced 2x deinterlacing? Maybe I
>> should upgrade. In any case, you are using an Atom too, so the A/V
>> sync problem isn't down to processing power.
>>
>> Just realised that with my current set up, it will be difficult to
>> remove the AV receiver: it's my only AMP, and the TV has no speakers.
>> I can try moving to HDMI audio from spdif again, but last time I
>> tried that it made sync worse. I never have sync problems with
>> my blu-ray player, so I sort of doubt it is caused by the amp,
>> but I'd like to rule it out. I guess I just need to borrow a little
>> mobile speaker from someone.
>>
>> BTW, do you know what the "playback details" display measures A/V
>> sync in?
>>
>> P.
>>

> Some TVs can do video processing which can induce delay. Usually there's a
> setting or a mode which disables this (something like Game Mode should do
> it). This may not be the cause of your problem, but it might be worth
> looking into.

Indeed, if  you split your audio and video signal to different devices, you
are subject to any processing delays imposed by those devices.  I have seen
TV's that introduce well over 100ms of lag (a few whole frames of video)
with some settings.  The ability to adjust the sync is one feature I like
about mythtv that I believe is completely overlooked by most folks.  Even
with a high end BlueRay player feeding a top of the line TV and Audio
setup, you can end up with noticeably out of sync audio.