[mythtv-users] Slightly off topic: Network connection question

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jan 1 18:01:44 UTC 2013

Bryan and Melissa Festa wrote:
Since I'm guessing your isp only issues one ip address per modem you will most likely want 3 routers. 1 router for say 192.168.1.x which will act as your backbone. Then connect a router for your functional network as 192.168.2.x and a router for your tv network as 192.168.3.x the two networks will not cross talk. From there it is up to you how many port switches you need or wireless access points.

That's how I'd do it - at least if I was having to use discrete routers.

You will need to add routes to router1 for the other 2 networks, and then you can turn off the NAT in the other routers. NAT == broken, and the less of it you can get away with the better.

However, it can be done in one router. Many routers are capable of running OpenWRT, or you can knock your own up with any old box capable of running Linux. Assuming a consmer router loaded with OpenWRT, you can reconfigure the LAN ports to create two separate LANs, so (say) ports 1&2 (plus the wireless) are your secure LAN, while ports 3&4 are the less secure one.