[mythtv-users] Hard drive failure

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 1 20:14:41 UTC 2013

On 01/01/2013 03:06 PM, Paul Stillwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my hard drives that has recordings on it failed last night. The drive that failed is a brand new drive that I put in to replace an older drive (I replaced a smaller capacity drive with a bigger capacity drive). I had copied over the recordings from the smaller drive to the bigger drive so I still have the recordings from the smaller drive available (except for anything new that may have been put on the bigger drive). My question is this: if I back up the database, get a new drive to replace the failed one, and copy the smaller drive recordings to the new drive, will the 'find_orphans.py' script find any of the old files that got copied over (that had been watched and deleted in the time period between when I copied them onto the bigger drive and now) and allow me to remove them?
>
> I think it will, but I'm not sure. Is there anything else I should do?

Yeah.  Just put the directory/directories containing the recordings from
the smaller drive into any of the Storage Groups and MythTV will find
those recordings.  If MythTV can find the recordings, find_orphans.py
will not show them as orphaned.  It will, however, find any other
recordings for which you have missing files (i.e. those that were
recorded to the new/big hard drive before it failed) or files for which
you no longer have recording metadata (i.e. those shows you watched and
deleted after moving recordings to the new/big hard drive before it failed).

Mike