[mythtv-users] Audio output to HDMI and analog

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Tue Jan 1 22:13:40 UTC 2013

On 01/01/13 15:42, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:54 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com
> <mailto:josu.lazkano at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I am configuring a new MythTV system. I have a HDMI (GeForce 210) card
>     connected to the TV. I configure this device on the frontend:
>
>     ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVIDIA,DEV=1
>
>     All works well, but I want to get 2 outputs, one with HDMI to the TV
>     and other with analog (3.5 jack).
>
>     How could I configure this?
>

> search the archives, it is explained.

In my searching the web, I've found lots of posts about this, but none
have been entirely helpful.  I've seen some rather contradictory
instructions, suggesting that there are multiple ways to solve the
problem.  What seems to be lacking is a high-level explanation of how
this all works, so that I can understand not just that a given solution
will work, but why.

Really, this is more of a general Linux issue than a MythTV issue, as it
should work the same way for all applications, or at least those that
just open /dev/mixer and send out sounds.

In my case, I would like to send sound out the HDMI (integrated nVidia
graphics), SPDIF, and analog.