[mythtv-users] Low powered nvidia GPU == morphed into Noise and Cooling...!

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jan 4 01:35:40 UTC 2013

>> I have yet to see a graphics card fan that has lasted more than about six months and yet the ones
>> in my laptops seem to last a long time.
>> No fan seems to equal low capability.
>
> I bought a fanless GT640:
>
> http://www.lambda-tek.com/GT640-DCSL-2GD3-ASUS-GT640-GRAPHICS-PLUS-2GB-GDDR3-DX11-HDMI-VGA-DVI-SUPER-ALLOY-POWER~cs/B1410439
>
> It's been running for about a month, totally glitch free 1080i 2xAdvanced de-interlacing as it has buckets of headroom, runs quite cool to the touch. I'm mostly running with 1080i50 but a few 1080i60 files and some high bitrate playback from professional recordings run fine too.
>
> It's a bit big, the heatpipes only just clear the mains inlet socket in the case I have but overall I find it a massive improvement over my glitchy and regularly overheating GT430.

Water cooling is also an option that works, certainly longer than 6
months but can be a bit of an engineering project in itself. I've done
several boxes that run at a very stable 42 degrees for the CPU (3 GiG
C2D's) and (now "old") vdpau cards. Using 120mm radiator fans and small
16G SSD's the noisiest component is the PS fan, which is barely audible.
There are some design tricks learned from experience....  From
experience I no longer water cool my back end...that in any event has
HDD noise from the media drives, all be it not much either (!)