[mythtv-users] mythcommflag vs mythtranscode for videos

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 18:39:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Dave Hill <myth at davidrhill.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Running mythbuntu 12.04 / mythtv 0.26, I have been finding that mythcommflag
> --rebuild --video does not seem to be updating the filemarkup table.
> Whenever I run it on mpeg4 .avi files, it shows progress all the way through
> and then it reports the following at the end:
>
> Rebuild completed at Thu Jan 3 17:15:04 2013
> 2013-01-03 17:15:04.334803 E  decoding error
>             eno: Unknown error 541478725 (541478725)
>
> Querying the filemarkup table for the file in question returns nothing after
> this.
>
> On the other hand, mythtranscode --buildindex --video seems to work fine.
> It reports success, runs a lot faster, and when I query the filemarkup
> table, I see a bunch of entries for the file I just rebuilt.
>
> Is mythcommflag broken or is this functionality going away since
> mythtranscode can do it?

Mythcommflag always produces that decoding error after completion,
which is just an artifact of the decoder reading EOF.  So you can
ignore it.

I've found that mythcommflag can be sensitive about using absolute
versus relative pathnames for the video.  If you use the absolute
pathname, it will happily insert filemarkup entries using the full
pathname in the filename column, but at playback it looks for filename
relative to the base of the storage group.

Jim