[mythtv-users] Architecture Idea - Raspberry Pi, VM, XBMC

Mark Gardner Mark at thegardners.me.uk
Sat Jan 5 12:42:35 UTC 2013

Hello,

Apologies if this topic has come up before, perhaps in its component
parts, but I would appreciate the thoughts of the group on the following
architecture idea for a new Myth implementation.

- DVB-S2 USB tuner on a Raspberry Pi running a MythTV Slave backend
- DVB-T2 USB tuner on a (second) Raspberry Pi running a MythTV Slave
backend
- MythTV Master backend (with no tuners of its own) running in a VM
- Data storage to be on a NAS
- XBMC Frodo PVR as MythTV Front End running on dedicated hardware

Both tuners would be dual tuners ideally, but I've not seen any suitable
yet.

- Is Pi man enough to run a backend?
- Is a master backend (no tuners) in a VM a viable option?

Any comments / thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!