[mythtv-users] android playback without HLS?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Jan 7 10:52:51 UTC 2013

On 13-01-06 10:05 PM, Bill Meek wrote:

> I believe you have a 9" tablet, from what I got Googling around.

Yep.

> The
> layout sounds just like mine. Except where you have a list on the left,
> I have banners (for shows that MythTV has banners for.)

OK.

> In the upper right, you should have some icons.

Right.  It was pressing one/some of those before that I got an NPE, so
I've mostly avoided pressing those any more.

> And I have no idea what
> their proper names are, but they look like a circle with arrows (Refresh),
> an eyeball (Play), a paper airplane (Play the recording on the frontend)
> and the vertical ellipses (Help.)

Ahhhh!  It was the eyeball to play bit that I was missing.  Eureaka!  I
have playback.  Yikes, at 196% of CPU (2 cores).  I guess this is going
to be why I was asking about non-HLS (i.e. transcoded) playback.

> Pressing the eyeball should start transcoding on the backend and then
> start the external viewer (or give you a choice if you have more than
> one.) I'm using Dice Player currently.

Indeed, it does.

> The whitespace is where the coverart would go. So that begs yet another
> question, do you have metadata with your MythTV Watch Recordings screen?

No.  I don't use a coverart theme on my frontends.  I use Mythcentre.

> Do you have storage groups setup for Banners, Coverart and Fanart?

Nope.  Didn't see any point given that I don't use FE themes that would
use it.

> Dan gets to answer this one. I don't see these messages.

So are show thumbnails not used on the Android frontend at all then?  I
wonder why they are being fetched constantly then.  Even this morning, 8
hours after I reported them last night, they are still being reported as
being fetched, on my BE and yet not a single episode (that I have found,
of course I did not check all 500 of them) has a thumbnail.

> Unfortunately, none of the above gets any closer to explaining why you're
> getting the NPEs.

Since I have been unable to reproduce them, let's treat them as a
"startup" red-herring.

Cheers,
b.