[mythtv-users] Can I use a Ceton InfiniTV device on a Windows 7 box?

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jan 8 16:33:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 09:54:28PM -0500, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Frank Feuerbacher <fbacher at brisbin.net> wrote:
> > I think you are implying that even if I assign a static IP to the Ceton,
> > that MytTV may be cranky about not having the card up and ready when the
> > back-end starts.
>
> I personally have never experienced a problem with this.
>

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Frank Feuerbacher <fbacher at brisbin.net> wrote:
> > I expected that, but thanks for confirming. Currently I only have one tuner
> > enabled (my wife is cheap, each one costs $2.50/month from the cable co.).
>
> Wait....do you mean your cable company charges you not per-cablecard,
> but per tuner you want to use from a single cablecard? Please tell us
> what cable company does such crap. I've never heard of such a thing.
> I'm not even sure that would be in compliance with the FCC's latest
> cablecard rules. Utter crap. I'd actually try to look into that with
> the FCC, and file a complaint with the FCC if they are violating the
> new rules.

I almost inquired about that too.  Now that I think about it, there's
no way they could enforce it since the cable cards don't communicate
back to the cable company.  As long as you get an M-card, all tuners
should work.

Oops, as I was writing that, something occurred to me.  If the cable
company employs SDV, there is an indirect, upstream communication path
through the tuning adapter.

David
--
David Engel