[mythtv-users] Can I use a Ceton InfiniTV device on a Windows 7 box?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Jan 10 01:57:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 05:13:12PM -0600, Frank Feuerbacher wrote:
>> Continuing saga of trying to use InfiniTV card installed on Windows
>> from an Ubuntu 12.10 box....
>>
>> On 1/7/2013 2:51 PM, Kris Jensen wrote:
>> ><snip>
>> >
>> >Yes bridging works well. I have two Ceton cards. One card set
>> >local only and one in bridged mode that I use with testing on
>> >WinOS DVR apps over the network. It took me a month or two of
>> >reading and trial and error before my MythTV system was stable
>> >enough to be called functional. And it has remained this way for
>> >the passed 10+ months. I had fun learning every step of the way.
>> >
>> >The only tips that I think that would help are:
>> >
>> >You NEED your signal strength a SNR at acceptable levels to avoid
>> >recording and live TV errors. All thought MythTV handles signal
>> >errors very well.
>> >
>> >When bridging the Ceton card you need to slow down and or
>> >rearrange the boot process a bit to allow the card to obtain an IP
>> >address before MythTVbackend starts.
>> >
>> >Hope that's helpful.
>> >

>> I successfully bridged my InfiniTV card with a static IP.
>> I can use mplayer on Ubuntu to play from an rtsp URL for the
>> InfiniTV. Great, Basic communication works.
>> I used setup-mythtv to define the capture card as a Ceton InfiniTV
>> and with the static IP address I used with mplayer and with viewing
>> the card status in a browser. But, alas, mythtv does not appear to
>> work with it. It fails during the back-end startup.
>>
>> Should I have defined the device as a Ceton InfiniTV card to mythTV?
>> Perhaps it assumes it is a local card and does not use the correct
>> protocol to communicate with it? Also, does anyone know where the
>> remote protocol is defined? I have seen snippets about what URL to
>> use to change channels, to view a channel, etc. but I have not seen
>> a complete list. Perhaps it is a standard?
>>
>> I'm hoping to understand this well enough to be able to improve on
>> the wiki for the InfiniTV.
>
> Did you set the "Card number" to "RTP"?  If that's not done, I believe
> mythtv tries to use the /dev entries for some operations.
>
> David

I agree with that suggestion. I've seen a few users who had to use RTP
to get it to work. If you don't use RTP, then it tries to use the
device entries under /dev/ceton/, however, I've seen a few cases where
the device entries get created under /dev/ instead. Not sure if that's
an issue with newer drivers, certain OS distributions (ie: newer
Ubuntu versions), or something else. You could also try to fix the
device entries, but that's more complicated, and RTP is the way
forward anyway (it looks like 0.27 will only use RTP).

--
Ron Frazier