[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.26 records live TV without being told to do so

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 10 22:55:00 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 11:37 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> Contrary to what a few others have said in this post, myth did NOT
> always behave the way it currently does. Years ago (I want to say up
> until around version 0.18 or so, but don't feel like looking it up),
> mythtv used a ringbuffer, much the same way TiVo does (or at least
> did...not sure what they do now). That's great in that it uses very
> little hard drive space,
> You're better off with
> the current system and telling it to only keep live tv for 1 day.

Keep it for 1 day or 10 billion...  The difference is irrelevant.
(Granted, we only allow you to specify a value between 1 and 7 days, so
you're unlikely to keep it 10 billion days.)

Live TV is deleted with prejudice when space is required--even before
Deleted recordings.  It shouldn't bother anyone any more than the
kernel's use of otherwise-unused RAM for a disk cache does.  As Thomas
implied, it's just making use of otherwise-unused resources.

Because of this, the current MythTV only ever needs as much space as
required for the currently-being-viewed session of Live TV (i.e. the
current program, or, if you just entered Live TV or have been switching
channels, the part of the current program since you tuned it last).  Or,
in the case of very long programs, a maximum of 8 hrs of the program.
Any not-currently-in-progress Live TV recording on an in-use file system
will be deleted before anything else--that includes the show that just
finished airing 1 minute ago.

Mike