[mythtv-users] Cutting videos

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Jan 11 13:49:23 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-11, at 3:02 AM, Malte Gell wrote:

> Is there a way to really and physically cut the selected areas from the
> video? I guess this would require transcoding the whole video?

Yes, you do have to transcode the whole video. Take a look here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythtranscode#Using_the_--mpeg2_Option_for_.28Virtually.29_Lossless_MPEG2_Transcode

for the built-in myth method. Sometime around the .26 release this stopped working for a few people (me included) for what sounds like a problem with ffmpeg. There was a recent ffmpeg resync that may have fixed things but I haven't yet upgraded to retry lossless transcoding.

When it's working the built-in lossless transcode is great.

- George