[mythtv-users] Cutting videos

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 11 15:05:04 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 08:49 AM, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2013-01-11, at 3:02 AM, Malte Gell wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to really and physically cut the selected areas from the
>> video? I guess this would require transcoding the whole video?
>
> Yes, you do have to transcode the whole video. Take a look here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythtranscode#Using_the_--mpeg2_Option_for_.28Virtually.29_Lossless_MPEG2_Transcode

This is exactly what the page you quoted in the original post (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Editing_Recordings ) is attempting to say in
the first paragraph:
-----
Editing a recording allows you to specify a cut list, which will cause
MythTV to automatically skip over some areas of the recording during
playback. This allows you to edit out the areas containing commercials.
Once you have created a cut list, you may also choose to transcode
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcoding> the recording to remove the cut
areas from the recording file.
-----

(and it even links to the wiki page on Transcoding:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcoding ).

If that's not clear, please let us know what would make it more clear.

Thanks,
Mike