[mythtv-users] Is there a way of programming recordings depending on which language(s) the audio is available in?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 13 18:52:58 UTC 2013

On 01/13/2013 01:47 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 01/13/2013 10:58 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
>>> We've got e.g. "The Big Bang Theory" available in the original
>>> English (E4) as well as dubbed in German (Pro7).  No doubt it is also
>>> available in both English and German on the Swiss SFn channels, nor
>>> would I be>  very surprised to find Italian and Spanish versions
>>> somewhere.  Is the audio-stream language available anywhere such that
>>> I can use it as a criteria when selecting what to record?
>> If your listings provide any indication (and, TTBOMK, it would have to
>> be something in the description, since we don't really have any other
>> place for it), you could try to use that with a custom/power recording
>> rule.
> Thanks for your reply, Mike,
>
> there must be something somewhere - dual-language programming is usually
> indicated in the listings in the newspapers, for instance.  Otherwise I
> don't know how I could tell from the description - other than some sort
> of natural language recognition :-)
>
>> If not, your best bet is probably a "this channel" rule for the
>> one that shows the right language version. Unfortunately, I can't
>> think of anything more elegant.  :(
> It really just seems there ought to be a language indicator for the
> audio-streams, certainly for anything in dual-language.  arte channels
> (french+german) for instance, all of the six Swiss channels
> (italian/french/german+original), infrequently on ARD and ZDF, maybe
> also on ORFx). Even BBC[34] when they're showing foreign movies with
> subtitles.

Check out your (raw) XMLTV listings data (or raw EIT data, if you're
using EIT), and see if it provides something.  If so, it may be worth
adding code to store that information and make it available to MythTV.
But I'm pretty sure we don't, now--unless we munge it into the
description or something.  (I was just hoping that your listings
provider did, or if not, that our XMLTV/EIT code did.)

I'd think Karl Dietz would be a great person to talk to about it--since
he seems to be the expert on EIT and XMLTV.

Mike