[mythtv-users] Incorrect characters in the EPG and program name

spst spst at freemail.hu
Sun Jan 13 23:25:42 UTC 2013

2013. 01. 13, vasárnap keltezéssel 22.34-kor Karl Dietz ezt írta:
> On 13.01.2013 22:16, spst wrote:
> > 2013. 01. 13, vasárnap keltezéssel 20.56-kor Karl Dietz ezt írta:

> >> Sometimes providers don't signal the character encoding properly.
> >
> > Yes, i maybe but my two Samsung tvs can show it correctly.
>
> It appears that most TV sets take no signaling as something else then
> written in the standard. (which would be a variant of ISO 6937)
>
> >>   >  How can I fix it?
> >>
> >> You have to look at the raw data and check what they are signaling
> >> http://dvbsnoop.sourceforge.net/examples/example-eit.html
> >> then look at which encoding they really use and add a fixup for it
> >> to MythTV at
> >> http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/eithelper.cpp#n991
> >> (notice all the EITFixUp::kEFixForceISO8859_*)
> >
> > I tried to dump stream but it was unsuccesfull... Someone can help how
> > can I do it? I read a lot of net (google) but it was unsuccessfull...
>
> You have to manually tune your card to a transport to look at either
> with MythTV or dvbtune, then you can look at the raw data with
> dvbsnoop -adapter <the adapter number> 0x12
>
> > I think my provider doesn't use ISO8859-2 because it not applicable in
> > Hungary. Provider didn't specified this parameter.
>
> I think your provider uses either ISO-8859-2 or -16 (guessing from
> Wikipedia's hint on the supported languages) but does not signal
> anything which is interpreted as the DVB variant of ISO/IEC_6937.
> Maybe they are using UTF-8 or UCS-2, a Windows encoding or something
> custom (unlikely).
>
> >> The fixes are keyed off the original_network_id, transport_id and/or
> >> service_id.
> >> If *all* services have identical wrong signaling its just one simply
> >> entry. It gets complicated if that is not the case
> >> (see the link above :)
> >
> > I think it use an uniqe encoding for Hungarian character.
>
> If you have the raw data (including the hex dump), and can specify the
> real characters that must be shown instead, we can narrow it down to one
> character encoding. (might be easiest to refer to the correct characters
> by their english wikipedia page, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Á or
> their name, a-acute in the example)

Dear Karl,

many thanks your help. I successfully dumped it. I find it example:

Event_ID: 63 (0x003f)
    Start_time: 0xdbf1232500 [= 2013-01-13 23:25:00 (UTC)]
    Duration: 0x0013000 [=  01:30:00 (UTC)]
    Running_status: 0 (0x00)  [= undefined]
    Free_CA_mode: 0 (0x00)  [= unscrambled]
    Descriptors_loop_length: 581 (0x245)

            DVB-DescriptorTag: 77 (0x4d)  [= short_event_descriptor]
            descriptor_length: 177 (0xb1)
              ISO639_2_language_code:  hun
            event_name_length: 24 (0x18)
            event_name: "Emma Blank utols� napjai"  -- Charset: Latin
alphabet
            text_length: 148 (0x94)
            text_char: "(holland, 2009.) Haneveld�k r�j�nnek, hogy
semmit sem �r�k�lnek. A gondoskod�s �larc�t lev�ve, bossz�t esk�sznek az
elviselhetetlen gazd�juk ellen. "  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

I didn't understand it exactly but I think that encoding is latin
alphabet but which? And what is it main ISO639_2_language_cod: hun? Is
it encoding what uses mythtv? Is it the problem?

Thanks
steve