[mythtv-users] WOL SBE

William Jacoby bonelifer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 06:20:26 UTC 2013

On 1/13/2013 12:41 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/13/2013 11:24 AM, William Jacoby wrote:
>> I have two machines. The first is a FE/MBE. The second one is
>> FE/SBE.  I'd like to set the MBE to use "wakeonlan mac-addrs" to wake
>> up the SBE when needed and also shut it down when not needed. I have
>> the SBE Bios set for WOL. I can manually wake it from the MBE, just
>> not sure how to setup mythtv to do it. After searching all I find are
>> post/articles/wiki entries that pretty much show how to use either
>> "/ACPI WakeUp" /which isn't what I want or how to wake up the MBE.
>
> Unfortunately, we have a lot of different approaches used for
> shutdown/wakeup, and they require a lot of user-understanding to
> configure--and we have little to no documentation for how they work
> (most documentation is on the approach you've found).  The ACPI wakeup
> approach is only used for the master backend.  Remote backends must be
> shut down by the master backend and then are also awakened by the
> master backend (the approach you want to use).
>
> Probably the best documentation for the remote backend shutdown is the
> commit message from when the functionality was added:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/373731#373731
>
> Once you figure it out, feel free to write up some documentation on
> the wiki http://wiki.mythtv.org/ for the remote backend sleep/wake
> configuration.
>
> Mike

This seems to have worked. Will give a it a few days and a few more
recordings/shutdowns before I call it a complete success.  I wasn't
around around the time it went to sleep, so I'd like to be around the
next recording to see it shutdown on it's own.  That said, it wasn't
shutting down on it's own before after long periods, so this should be
considered a minor success.  The main reason I wanted to do this is
because the fans on the two CPU's, the case fan, and a possible HD cage
fan, right now give my SBE it's hostname of ENTERPRISE(after the USS
Enterprise, aircraft carrier). This thing is rather loud, plus it's nice
to put it to sleep to save some power. I have plans of replacing the
fans, but not right now[hopefully then it'll get that name only for the
size of the tower then].