[mythtv-users] Flashing line at bottom of HD-PVR recordings

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 05:33:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Scott Naef <snaef1 at mail.brookdalecc.edu> wrote:

> I get this also on my recordings from my HDPVR's.   I have a few other issues to work on first and it has not bothered me that much yet.  But yes, it does happen to me also.
>
> On 1/15/2013 4:24 PM, Dan Wilga wrote:
>
> On 1/14/13 11:13 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
>
> On 1/14/13 8:55 AM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Justin Johnson
> <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since upgrading to 0.26 I see a flashing line at the bottom of my HD-PVR
> recordings. It only happens on 1080i channels, which leads me to suspect
> that it is related to the fact that there are really 1088 lines in the
> video.
>
> Anyone have the same experience? Any workarounds or solutions/patches? I
> didn't see anything current in trac.
>
> Adjusting overscan will work, but I certainly wouldn't call that a
> solution. Have you tried using a different deinterlacer? Are you using
> VDPAU? What if you switch back to CPU deciding (ex: using the High
> Quality profile). I'd play around with those and see if any of them
> gets rid of it. If so, even if that's not the solution you want, it
> might give you a clue where to look (like upgrading your nvidia
> drivers or something).
>
> I have also noticed this consistently since upgrading to 0.26. It happens even to recordings that were made before 0.26, so I know it is an output problem, not in the files. It happens for both VDPAU Medium and VDPAU High. I'll try one of the other rendering methods tonight. IIRC, it happens for all mkv files, regardless of resolution, and does not happen for other file types. Therefore, I suspect the embedded ffmpeg code, myself.
>
> FYI, I'm using 0.26-fixes commit 28846f from January 3.
>
> I went through a bunch of permutations last night, and discovered:
> - When the recording was made by the HD-PVR, the flashing line was always present.
> - Display profile did not seem to be a factor. My usual default of VDPAU High Quality did it, as did OpenGL High Quality.
> - Contrary to what I said above, it did NOT do this for all mkv files. Ones that were recorded at 1080i but transcoded down to lower resolutions with Handbrake were fine. I don't have anything recoded with the HD-PVR at resolutions lower than 1080i to test with.
>
> --
> Dan Wilga                                                        "Ook."

Some more detailed information
I can confirm that it happens with all decoding profiles I tried. I
default to VDPAU, but saw it with CPU and OpenGL. Deinterlacer doesn't
matter either.
HDHomeRun recordings do NOT show the line.
720p recordings from HD-PVR do NOT show the line.
Mplayer does not show the flashing line. Nor do I see the line in the
mythweb flash player, converted to flv using mythffmpeg.
I have mythfrontend version v0.26.0-77-g994e219

Here's the output of mythfrontend -v playback: http://pastebin.com/D10M5LAK

--
Justin Johnson