[mythtv-users] Rebuilding a FE/BE system (the stupid way)

Science Technician SCITECH at combebank.kent.sch.uk
Wed Jan 16 15:15:23 UTC 2013

Hi,
 I am hoping someone can help with what I am trying to do.

 Firstly a little background.

 I am the science technician (although I used to be an IT Tech)
in a school and under a previous IT Admin I was asked to set up a MythTV
Box for the science department with the prospect of rolling out across
the school.

 I did this using MythDora and the way the system is used is that all users
interface to the system via MythWeb. Myself excluded as the FE/BE System
sits under my desk so I can get at the FE directly.

 In the long run we didn't roll out MythTV across the school primarily
because the IT Admin left last year before we had the chance.

 Our new IT Admin take the view that if they don't understand something and it
breaks down then they don't try and fix it but replace it with something they
do understand... or better still something that comes with an external support
contract so they don't have to understand it.

 This means that now I want to switch from MythDora to MythBuntu (I can explain
why I want to make the change but don't want to clutter this positing even more)
the response I am getting is "Well why don't we just get AppleTV or Sky".

 I can do the switch myself but I am unable to release any recourses eg. a spare
machine or even a spare hard drive as Admin are unwilling to spend any money on it.

Sorry for the rather long intro but it helps explain why I am needing to do what I
am.

 The MythTV setup works really well for us in science and as long as it doesn't
need any support from the IT Admin we can keep using it so:

 Is it possible to build a new BE/FE system on the current machine by partitioning
the current drives and then transfer the recordings across?

 I would be happy to re scan for channels and only move recordings if that is easier.

 The HDs have plenty of space to partition but it is set up using LVM something I am not really familiar with and had I know Fedora was going to use it I would have opted for Ubuntu.

 The set up is one small HD and one 1TB HD. I would like if possible to end up with the new Ubuntu + Myth to end up on the small HD and all Media to be on the 1TB HD.

 I appreciate no sane person would choose to start from this position but my options are limited.

 Also any advice on partitioning software to use would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry again for the long winded intro.

John Mason

--

John Mason - Science Technician

Registered Charity No. 1007871  Company Registered No. 1067557

***This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager and delete it.  Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Combe Bank School.  Finally the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  Combe Bank School accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.  This email has been scanned for viruses by Sophos PureMessage.***