[mythtv-users] Is there a way of programming recordings depending on which language(s) the audio is available in?

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Thu Jan 17 07:40:18 UTC 2013

Karl Dietz wrote:

> On 13.01.2013 16:58, Per Jessen wrote:
>> We've got e.g. "The Big Bang Theory" available in the original
>> English
>> (E4) as well as dubbed in German (Pro7).  No doubt it is also
>> available in both English and German on the Swiss SFn channels, nor
>> would I be
>> very surprised to find Italian and Spanish versions somewhere.  Is
>> the audio-stream language available anywhere such that I can use it
>> as a criteria when selecting what to record?
>
> not yet.
> The only usage of EIT/XMLTV data related to language is when choosing
> which title/subtitle/description to use when multiple are present.
>
> Can you verify (with dvbsnoop) that the proper audio track language is
> signaled in the EIT data? Look out for component descriptors for
> audio, the second and third example at
> http://dvbsnoop.sourceforge.net/examples/example-eit.html
> are how it would look like.

Hi Karl

I see some component descriptors such as:

n-tv on Astra1:

DVB-DescriptorTag: 80 (0x50)  [= component_descriptor]
descriptor_length: 13 (0x0d)
reserved: 15 (0x0f)
stream_content: 2 (0x02)
component_type: 3 (0x03)
== Content&Component: (= MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio, stereo (2 channels))
component_tag: 2 (0x02)
ISO639_language_code:  deu
component-description: "deutsch"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

DVB-DescriptorTag: 80 (0x50)  [= component_descriptor]
descriptor_length: 19 (0x13)
reserved: 15 (0x0f)
stream_content: 2 (0x02)
component_type: 5 (0x05)
== Content&Component: (= MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio, surround sound)
component_tag: 17 (0x11)
ISO639_language_code:  deu
component-description: "dolby digital"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

ITV1 on Astra2:

DVB-DescriptorTag: 80 (0x50)  [= component_descriptor]
descriptor_length: 30 (0x1e)
reserved: 15 (0x0f)
stream_content: 2 (0x02)
component_type: 3 (0x03)
   == Content&Component: (= MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio, stereo (2 channels))
component_tag: 255 (0xff)
ISO639_language_code:  eng
component-description: " Audio 1 - ITV1 Grampian"  -- Charset: Latin
alphabet

My Hotbird setup is not yet ready, but once it's running, I should be
able to get some dual-language programming examples from SF1/SF2.  ARD
and ZDF pccasionally also do dual-language programming, but it's quite
rare.  Hmm, wait, "arte" might have some too.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-3.9°C)