[mythtv-users] Tips on getting FE working completely

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:39:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Chuck Olson <chuckol at yahoo.com> wrote:

...snip...

> mythfrontend comes up just fine. I can watch "old" shows on the FE-attached
> monitor (I have not tackled TV-out yet), but not "new" shows. By "old", I
> mean shows that were originally broadcast years ago (like Barney Miller,
> Mary Tyler Moore, etc.), presumably in much lower definition. By "new", I
> mean any recently produced show like sports and modern sitcoms.
>
> When I try to watch the newer shows, the video is very choppy along with the
> sound. With this in mind, I have a couple questions:
>
> 1. Even though my FE setup is ancient, should it still have enough
> horsepower to be able to display SD content as I wish?
> 2. If the answer to 1. is Yes, what should I start looking at to fix the
> stuttering? I have held off on messing with the xorg.conf, but is it time to
> bite into that?
> 3. Reading through many earlier posts leads me to believe the fx5200 is a
> stinker to configure properly in xorg.conf. Does anyone have a working
> xorg.conf that works with this card that does SD and TV-out?

You didn't mention how the FE communicates with the BE nor how you are
recording the "new" shows.  Pure speculation, but if the "new" shows
are recorded in HD (>>2GB/hr) and the "old" shows are recorded in SD
(~2GB/hr), here are two possible causes:
1) Is it possible that the FE is overtaxed in downgrading to SD
quality on the fly to display the "new" shows?
2) The HD shows will require more bandwidth (more bits/second) to
transfer the data to the FE.  Doing this with a WiFi or
Ethernet-over-powerline link with inadequate bandwidth will cause this
problem.

Craig.